Sunday, November 28, 2010

What? Time For a Break? Again?


I know, I know. I’ve done this before.

But this time is different. This break is not out of frustration (actually it is – sort of) or because I feel blocked or stale in the work. Hardly. I’ve reached the point where there are literally not enough hours in the day. If I don’t make choices now, they will very likely be made and forced upon me. So, I’m choosing to try this again in order to head off the less desirable choices at the pass.

I’m not planning any further updates here until the early portion of 2011. My website rebuild has also been placed on hold as I’ve had no time to do image edits for the galleries.

So what’s happening? If you really want to know, read on; if not, check back in February of 2011. I’ll be somewhat caught up by then.

This decision is not pegged to one single event, but to a tangled web of stuff. Being self-employed is the biggest part of it and basically, this is a decision of economics and balance. Ask any artist and you’ll know the markets ain’t what they used to be. The risk of speculating new work in the present market conditions is too much for me to even consider. In fact, if I treated photography as a pure business enterprise I would’ve shut it down years ago. While the circumstances I now find myself in are not born of frustration, they are certainly a cause of frustration – and stress.

It goes without saying that for me, photography is much, much more than a pure business venture. It also goes without saying the economy can’t be ignored. After years of putting my art ahead of so much else, I can see the rendering is coming due and that’s a problem. To continue to keep photography at the top of my ‘to do’ list simply isn’t viable or realistic.

Today’s image is one from this past summer; two wonderful, beautiful ladies looking out into the world, hopeful. I will be back, with new and good work, but it’s not gonna be for a while. Check in from time to time, but don’t expect new stuff to appear. Above all else, don’t stand waiting around. I’m sure you’ve got plenty to do as well.

In the meantime, please feel free to drop me a line and stay in touch. I wish each and everyone out there a happy and safe holiday season – and let’s all hope for a more prosperous and balanced year in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment