Monday, January 4, 2010

“Rover, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will…”

When I started this blog in June 2009, some of the very first topics I wrote about dealt with artists, fear, and change. I’m afraid to say not too much is different. However, with the arrival of 2010, which brings not only a new year but also a new decade, hope rises anew.

Truth is I’ve not felt much of a stabilizing influence in my work since 2004. 2004 was an eventful year for me; a year rife with change. It was the year of my first solo show in a “real” gallery and it was also the year I did some of my finest work. It was the year Agfa stopped producing film and Kodak ceased production of all black and white printing papers; papers I learned to print with some 30 years prior while in middle school. And as 2004 became 2005, the darkroom where I did my work was shut for good.

It seemed that just as I was getting rooted, just as I was finding and “developing” my style, the rug was pulled from beneath me. The proverbial “last straw” was my relocation from a city that is a major photography market to a city that has turned out to be a very minor one – or perhaps it’s better to say, one with a significantly different view of what photography is.

Emotionally, I found myself in a place that took me by surprise. After the close of the darkroom in early 2005 I seriously considered putting an end to all of my photography. The transition to digital imaging was, and still is, a struggle. My roots are in film; film is where I’m most comfortable. However, the final image is the desired result, and the path one takes to get to it, little more than a means to an end.

So, while digital processes may not my preferred path to the final image, they are certainly the prevalent way. I decided in the end the argument with myself of continuing or not continuing to do my work was as silly as trying to swim against the tide. In reality, what I resented about the transition to digital was that my hand had been forced by the shareholders and executives of huge and not so huge corporations. Having been self-employed for the majority of my working life, I understand economic decisions. They’re not always easy, and they’re hardly ever liked by all involved.

With new opportunities for shooting, new ideas and concepts to explore, and new models to work with, 2010 represents a hope renewed. You can look for much new work that will meet face to face with fear and change. I promise, it’s gonna be good!

******************************************************

This week, I plan to deliver matted prints for sale to Horizon Gallery. I had hoped to avoid being in the print business, but after six weeks of exhibiting framed work in the space, it’s quite clear prints are needed. So, I’ve selected seven images, some of which are represented by work on the walls, to be in my print bin.


While I was represented by The Gallery, I sold many matted and loose prints in various sizes. I’ve decided the prints that will be in Horizon as unframed work are going to be one size: 11X14, matted to 16X20. This one size, one price method will hopefully result in less work for me to do, and less material for me to inventory and still appeal to the fine-art print buyer. I’ll add more images of new work as I shoot through the year.

******************************************************

Today’s images are from sessions shot in October 2008 and July 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment