Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Light at the End of the Tunnel - and a Small Touch of Halloween Irony

COURSE, my retrospective show which opens at Savannah’s Gallery Espresso on Monday, November 2, is ready. Well, more or less.

The price list has been completed and delivered to the gallery director and the framing will be finished today. The title cards will be printed tomorrow, and the framed work wrapped, padded, and boxed. At 9am on Monday, the delivery will be made; then comes the arranging and placement of the work followed by the actual hanging. One tunnel down; another looming.


As soon as that’s complete, I’ve got to begin readying work to go into Horizon Gallery. I also have to go to Atlanta, to speak with a couple of galleries there and take care of other, more mundane business matters. I was hoping to overnight; visit some friends and my mother, and perhaps do a bit of shooting. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

It’s safe to say I have a stretch of busy days ahead.

******************************************************

Today’s image is titled “Triangles” and is from a 2006 studio session in Atlanta with model Andrea F.

******************************************************

Happy All Hallows Eve to all, in the true spirit of the ancient pagan holiday from which it originated, Samhain.

I have to confess to wearing a small inward smile when I think how several Christian churches and organizations often present the "Fall Festival" as an alternative to trick-or-treating and the wearing of costmes, etc. on Halloween. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my underdstanding that a big portion of Samhain was originally rooted in celebrations of the fall harvests.

It seems to me these "Fall Festivals" push the Halloween holiday much closer to it's pagan roots than the wearing of Wal-Mart costumes and children's extortion of candy from the neighbors ever could.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Bill. Agreed. ;) Those in the church don't seem to realize how close they are to going back to the roots of the real celebration.

    ReplyDelete